Tuesday, March 13, 2007

To Blog or Not To Blog

It seems so easy and effortless, for most everyone else that I know, to make a decision about writing a blog. Counting with my fingers one by one, beginning with my sister & youngest sister, my brother, my cousin/s, my uncle, my college friends, my friend's second cousin's son et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

It took me half a year to catch on to the idea of exposing myself nakedly on the world wide web to some strangers across the ocean or maybe even next door. Nakedly, in the sense of emotion.
Then, on several occasions, a friend told me that this could be the most convenient way to keep in touch with friends & family without having to find much time to email everyone individually, or flooding everyone's email accounts with terabytes of pictures that take forever to upload. Not to mention the torture deep within myself from the expectations that built up towards friends & family to sympathetically respond to my emails. Half of the time, it is followed by another dissapointment, which, actually becomes a super-excitement when a reply does show up in the vast junk mails that I do get nowadays.

My friend's theory was proven lately with a cousin leaving home to pursue her dream to study abroad. So I gave blogging some more thoughts.

My hesitance mainly lies in the fact that I just simply can't find any time and patience to put my thoughts on paper as I used to be anymore. I have always liked to keep a journal but I don't remember when the last time I consistently wrote for 3 days in a row. Contradictingly, I can organize my thoughts and express it flawlessly (well, most of the time) in words through typing - thanks to the nature of my job where I spend two-third of my time organizing my facts/arguments/angers/suggestions/opinions and express them in emails. It is so bad that I no longer can do the same if I were to write down any thoughts with a piece of paper and a pen. Worst still, my handwriting is just like .... according to my (retired) teacher/school-principle-mother, a 3rd grader!! (To comfort myself, mother did say my brother's handwriting is like a 1st grader.) Haha!

After more thoughts and discussions with my beloved hubby, we thought (yes, it is a 'we' thing) with all that is going on and more to come in our lifes, this could be very well the 'least complicated' (?) way to share our lifes with our friends & family, nearby or far-away.

Pardon us for we don't write like neither a novelist nor a poet
Pardon us for we don't take pictures like Ansel Adams
But our intention is pure,
is to share our lifes with you,
is to keep us close to you..
For all we have in this life time is to love and to share.


So, to blog or not to blog? We chose 'to blog'.

Written by CY @ cool breezy pseudo-spring night while M is traveling for business & Gus is locked out from the office room

4 comments:

kampung girl said...

oh yes! I am the first! This is so exciting.
Welcome to the blogosphere (aka safe haven for "friendless and lifeless losers like me") and let the good times roll!

Minghan said...

If you read the book "The World is Flat", people have become producer of information (hopefully) rather than just consumer. That's why you have blogs, wikipedia, youtube etc.

You don't have to bare everything here, and we don't want you to :P but its probably safer to do that since you are not in Malaysia, some bloggers have been prosecuted here...and also in China.

Bloggers can be powerful too you know. In China, a blogger has successfuly forced Starbucks to move out from the Forbidden City after he started blogging about why the heck is there a Starbucks in the Forbidden City. Besides, you can also become an online celebrity thru blogging. You can free passes to happening events, apparel sponsorship and even get to review the latest gadget. Some even earn money from ads on their blog... i know a 5X year old auntie in Penang that's doing that. It all goes back to the old adage, 'the pen is mightier than the sword'.

So blogging is a good way to sharpen the mightier-than-sword pen.

Blogging is also a way to share knowledge in a way. I once got the contact to a tour guide in Bali from a stranger's blog

CYnM said...

Glad to know that. Thanks for sharing the thoughts!

Babe said...

blog blog blog.. nice to have a blog and every1 will ask me 'y nvr update ur blog' when i didnt update it... seems like u r having some faithful FANS to read ur aricle.. thought.. its really nice.. happy blogging except GUS...